Thursday, October 16, 2008

Memories of G-ma & G-pa

Fun stories shared on the Phelps Family Website in May-June of 2008...

Tamara Lecheminant - May 26, 2008
I thought it would be fun to share memories of Grandma and Grandpa on this site, to be soon compiled into a book of some sort. I thought we would start with Grandpa because his birthday was the most recent. (I meant to write this on his birthday, but I think that is when AI started to get interesting.) Then, when we finished we could write about our memories of Grandma. If there is already a book of some sort, then we don't need to do one. I just thought it would be a fun and easy way to get a memory book of the two. We could share as many thoughts, stories, or memories as we want. No limit. They can be short or long. It would even be great if we could get the aunts and uncles to share lots too. (Also, if you remember details of something and want to add to someone's, please do)

Read what others had to say:

Tamara Lecheminant - May 26, 2008
We were having some sort of party at Grandma and Grandpa's house. I don't remember who it was (probably Kambi :) ), but someone talked me into pushing Grandpa into the swimming pool, fully clothed. All I remember is that he pulled his very wet wallet out of his pocket, and I was really scared. I felt REALLY bad and wanted to run and hide.

Kambi Strong - May 27, 2008
Okay, that is so funny (now of course) It probably was me, I have no memory of that. I probably blocked it out cuz I got in trouble. When they were digging the hole for the pool, this big bulldozer thing pulled a bunch of citrus trees right out of the ground. They had these really big roots. Then they put a fire hose in to fill it up. When the deep end was about a third of the way full Grandpa said he would give us a dollar (?) if we jumped in so I did. I think maybe Julie did too. Also, on my eighth b-day grandma took me to Red Lobster in her cool maroon car and then to Kmart and I got to pick out any jacket I wanted. Then she said there was a surprise on the back seat and it was covered by a blanket. She told me to pull it off and it was a great big white teddy bear. Also, for my eighth b-day Aunt Nannette made me a blue gingham dress with puffy sleeves with red rickrack on them. There was an apple on the front pocket. I wish I had that dress so bad. That was the best birthday of my life. Thanks Aunt Nannette and Grandma!

Shenla Jones - May 27, 2008
Okay,m when I saw amandas letter seweater it reminded me of the thousands of patches, Daddy sewed. He would Chenille ( the way you make the patches that go on the sweaters) way late into the wee hours of the morning to make sure everyone was happy at Christmas and at the end of the year sassemblies.He was the only person who could make them back in them ther days Course I can hardly remember them days
He also spent hours doing the trophies for the schools in Arizona. How he could concentrate on those little tiny things he made for so long amazes me. He was put out with me because I was the only one of the kids (smart one) who wouldn't learn something in that dern store(which provided food and clothing for me). Of course I loved working there. IHEMOI except WTCBWCI


Rachel Cunningham
"I hated every minute of it." Except "when the cute boys would come in."


Kimeree Bates - May 29, 2008
I think I can figure this one out. Ummmm.... Oh Wait this is suppose to be about Grandpa. Mom, did I get it? Ok, so about Grandpa. I think it is very ironic that Phil is trying to clean up the city that Grandpa changed for the good. They are both my heros.

Alicia Black - Jun 1, 2008
I remember Grandpa had Gatorade in the fridge at the store and I did not like it. I also remember finding a lot of cool treasures on the floor of the store and stuffing my pockets full of stuff. I loved all the ribbons that were mess ups, and then they became my own. I also will never forget his big, wet kisses.


Jennie Cunningham - Jun 1, 2008
Grandpa was always doing magic tricks and I loved that. Yes, can't forget those wet kisses :) I remember he brought this really long blue and white rope camping and we jump roped with it. I remember him doing his dance to his song...white sports coat and a pink carnation. I remember him always trying to bite our big toes ewww. I can't remember if he played water monster with us in the pool or not?? I loved playing water monster :) Anyone remember that game? Did he have tandum bikes we would ride?


Kimeree Bates - Jun 2, 2008
At the store all I remember was a giant shoe. Anyone know what I'm talking about or did I just make that up?


Nelson Phelps - Jun 2, 2008
I remember water monster, that was awesome.

Julie Hallsted - Jun 8, 2008
Water Monster was the best game ever! Yeah Kim, there was a big gold shoe. Barry bought his first baseball glove from grandpa when he was a kid and has an awesome story about how he would go look at the glove all the time as he was saving and if he went in the store and didn't see grandpa he would know he was going to get a ball thrown at him from out of nowhere.


Tamara Lecheminant - Jun 8, 2008
water monster was the best game ever invented. i always thought laurie made that up. (i give credit to her for all of the fun made-up games in my childhood.) anyways, just wondering if anyone remembers how to play, because i would love to teach my kids how to play. (do you try to get everyone and then the last person is the winner?) that was such a fun game at the swimming pool?


Nelson Phelps - Jun 2, 2008
Does anyone remember that motorcycle thing that was in the back of the store with the really wide tires (like quad tires) that were always flat. Also, I remember going down to help out on Saturdays (I least I thought I was helping even though I'm sure I wasn't) and I would sweep the back as well as peel the paper off the numbers and letters that had been ironed on the shirts. Then Grandpa would give me a couple of bucks and I would go to Micky D's next door and get lunch.

I also remember the day he closed up shop and we went down and cleaned everything up and took all of the surplus stuff over to his house and stored it there.


Rachel Cunningham - Jun 2, 2008
Brett inherited that motorcycle thing with the really wide tires. He couldn't bear to see it go to the dump. He and a neighbor kid in our old ward actually got it started one day and rode it a little, but then it died. R.I.P. "Hog"


Kylie Glover - Jun 2, 2008
You can't forget getting your toes bitten!!


Nelson Phelps - Jun 2, 2008
Of course not. I do that to my boys every now and again. They like it about as much as I did, but I do it anyway just for old times sake. It was so weird because it was kind of ticklish and it kind of hurt at the same time.


Julie Hallsted - Jun 8, 2008
I didn't really know how gross the toe thing was until I think about doing it now to someone else. And the big wet kisses IN THE EYE! Weren't yours in the eye too? Or did he save those just for me?


Tamara Lecheminant - Jun 8, 2008
how did i forget those wet kisses in the eye. those were the best. you couldn't help but just laugh after being with grandpa. i remember him always doing those money games. where he would drop the dollar bill and if you caught it, you would get to keep it. i thought he was the coolest thing ever.

does anyone remember being in that parade and throwing racquetballs all over the street from the float for grandpa's store. that is definitely one of my favorite childhood memories. I just remember racquetballs bouncing everywhere. that was sooooo fun!


Kimeree Bates - Jun 9, 2008
I remember he would put a ton of quarters on his elbow then snap it and would catch them all. I think we all thought he was some kind of superhero.


Staci Allen - Jun 9, 2008
I remember spending the night at Grandma Phelps house as a little girl. I remember one time, making bead necklaces with her & then she let me stay up and watch a MOVIE that started a MIDNIGHT! I laid on her bed & watched "An Affair to Remember". I remember thinking "my mom would KILL me if she knew I was watching this movie" It is actually a really cute movie, but I was a little girl & the word "AFFAIR" was BAD to me! :) The movie didn't end until 2am & then I went and slept in the PINK room. I'm pretty sure Grandma stayed up to watch ANOTHER movie. Hmmm....is this where all our mother's get their "night owl-ness" from??? I remember making Instant Breakfast for us in the morning-Grandma loved those(or maybe she thought it was the only breakfast that a 10 yr old could handle???)

I remember Grandpa teaching me how to PITCH in Softball. I was a slow-pitch pitcher & he would take me behind his house(what field is back there? Mesa Jr?) & we would PRACTICE & PRACTICE & PRACTICE & PRACTICE. Of course I remember him BITING MY TOES...and his WET KISSES...both of which I DID NOT LIKE!!! I remember Grandpa coming up when we were camping at Spring Break( I think he just came up for the day) & I played horseshoes with him. I TRIED & TRIED...but I could never beat him! I think he got a ringer every time!

I LOVE GRANDMA & GRANDPA!!!!!!!!


Sherri Whiting
I loved the Gatorade gum that was under the cash register cabnet. I would go and grab handfuls of the stuff. (You can still find the gum at Sports Authority. It's called Gator Gum) I remember grandpa lifting us up, while he was on his back. He would take our feet and we would have to balance and then he would drop us. He would also take us for "horse rides" and then buck us off. He did all this while he was going through all his hip surgeries.


Tamara Lecheminant
I used to love that gum too. I have bought it since, (just for the memories) and it doesn't taste as good as I remember. I think I just love it because it reminds me of Grandpa.

Did Grandpa used to throw coins in the pool for us to dive in and get? I can't remember if he started that or my mom...That was my most favorite game ever.

Does anyone remember those hard candies Grandma used to keep in her drawers? Oh...the memories.


Julie Hallsted - Jun 16, 2008
Yes, grandpa definately threw coins in the pool. I loved that. He taught me how to dive and how to do a front flip just standing on the carpet. He always made me feel like I could do anything! It's so funny I believed everything he said because I really doubt he was an amazing diver or that he could stand and do a front flip.


Nelson Phelps - Jun 17, 2008
I would bet he was an amazing diver with all the experience he had. Plus who puts 1 meter and 3 meter diving boards in their pool if they don't love to dive. I know that whenever my dad got on the diving board (which was rare) I was always amazed at what he could do. I'm sure he learned it from Grandpa. As far as the standing flip, I'm not so sure.


Rachel Cunningham - Jun 17, 2008
What I want to know, Julie, is if you can still do a standing front flip. Holy cow...I know for sure I would break my neck.


Julie Hallsted - Jun 17, 2008
Ha, no Rachel. But I do have a small goal to do a back handspring before I turn 40 in November. It's only been 20 years or more since I have tried one.


Alicia Black - Jun 15, 2008
I remember the candy machine at Grandma's house. I also remember some coconut head that totally freaked me out. I just came across the hymn book that Grandma gave all the grandchildren for Christmas. I love reading these memories!


Nelson Phelps - Jun 16, 2008
I remember the folding chairs that Grandma gave to all of us. At the time I thought it was pretty lame because I didn't want a folding chair. Now, my parents still use then quite and bit and we have had them for who knows how long and looking back I think it was a great idea, although I probably won't get those for my grandkids.


Ryan Jones - Jun 16, 2008
Did you know for one of my Proms, I cant remember which, he dressed up as a driver and drove my bunch of friends to prom at the butte! He was so cool, and I cant believe he did that for me. That was one of my best memories of him, let alone the store and the awesome times there.

No comments: